Friday 27 May 2011

Day 10: Busy Day Poetry

One of those days so here's a poem:

The Twenty-First Century

No lines, instant access
Credit cards, maximum debt
Don’t pay for twenty four months
We are a society of Easy Bake Ovens
Desserts prepared in five minutes
With optional drizzle

Corporate mergers, restructurings, and layoffs
Pressures to stretch a forty hour work week
Into a 24/7 existence
Technology expands our work
More in less replaces the corporate motto
Of pride in achievement and product

A job worth doing never gets done
Time stolen with maintained pressure
Insures mediocrity
Typewriters, television dials and rotary phones
Ghosts of a  simpler life
Purged by technology to the graveyard of inefficiency

Children speak in techno-babel
Junkies to the latest electronic drug
Twitter, Facebook; instantaneous communication
No time for reflection; just regret
Within cyber bars we look
For live-long commitment via email and texting
We are a society of visual dialogue
Tactile relationships lost on a sea of cable and pulses

Telephone numbers programmed to eliminate memory
Hands free or no drive zones necessitates
A trip to Best Buy for the latest electronic gadget
With lessons of patience
No longer taught by over-whelmed parents
We stay connected; in tune for immediate gratification
Desensitized to our differences by the net
Cultures blur and individuality is lost

I choose to limit my technology
For when I am alone
I reflect
And find the best of myself
Without wires, without access
Without the chirps and beeps of modern society
I regain myself
I find my solitude, my god, my peace

No comments:

Post a Comment