Saturday 21 May 2011

Day 4 - Where Does It All come From?

Have you ever sat back to consider how we generate ideas and where the ideas actually come from. In times long past, one thought the words came on the breath of god. The writer, poet, or composer acted as a lowly transcriber of words conveyed by a higher being: chosen by divinity to pass on thair art.

A conforting thought to the deeply religious. Not particularly helpful in answering the question.

I don't know why Mozart was able to envision and hear his music fully formed or what spurred Shakespeare to write his sonnets but I find the question of where it comes from fascinating.

On a personal level I wonder why I come up with a variety of ideas for stories that I write, why I am able to see the story played out in vivid detail in my head simply needing to transcribe what I see playing out in my personal movie theatre of my mind. I think I will pursue the answer to this question for the remainder of my life and will likely never find the answer. It is a journey that is exciting. Perhaps the answer does not lie in finding the answer but marvelling in the process that is new and fresh every time it happens.

I'm posting another draft poem of mine. Where did it come from? Why did I write it? I don't know. All I know is that it was there one day and needed to be expressed by me at the time.


Litany

I am a man
With a benevolent god
Who reminds me daily
Of my shortcomings
My weaknesses and my strengths
He reminds me that I am human
A joyful state of being


  

No comments:

Post a Comment