Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 19: Revision Process-Part 1

I'm in the middle of revising a small section of my up-coming novel The Crucifixion of Eli Mourning. A brief excerpt will be published shortly. The revision process is interesting as you get a chance to revisit work done so long ago it seems and come to it with fresh eyes. When one is creating the first draft you write through to the end. I never, I repeat never try to revise as I go (that's a bit of a lie as I do make some changes as I input the hand-written draft into the computer). It's best to get it all down in the first instance, see where your story takes you. I know people who rework the same first chapter forever and they never get to chapter two. I really think you need to finish your story for two reasons. The first is that you get energy to push you through the revision process which can be 60% of your writing time on a project. The second reason is that you could be making changes that will need to be changed again and again simply because your story changes, not because its writing that needs to be improved (plot driven changes to the work that has already been produced).

You can see its best to push through to the end. I'm only revising now because I have a deadline of sorts for this brief excerpt or else I'd be waiting to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment