Thursday 23 June 2011

Day 37: Journalling

One of the first things I started to do when I got the writing bug bad was to journal each morning. I did this for about a year straight. I wrote about anything and everything during a period where my life was going through some difficulties. The first creative writing textbook suggested it and it was a really good exercise in shutting off the internal critic.

Years later this material can become the source of many story or poem ideas. I can mine ther nuggets from my ramblings.

Because I have been busy with a fiction project I haven't written a lot of poetry in the past half a year. I do miss it. I had some time today as I waited for an appointment so I started to look at some old draft poems and I got the urge again to rework them. It got me thinking to the reams of handwritten material that I can go through and start to see where the gems lie. This is all because of my commitment to writing everyday good, bad, or indifferent. I may restart my journalling practice and write freehand every morning for fifteen minutes, a stream of consciousness writing. Material galour and shuts the old critic up each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment