Monday 13 June 2011

Day 27: Do I Have Time To Write?

I commented on this topic today on a fellow writer's blog. My answer to the question was that everyone has time to write. Give yourself fifteen minutes a day to let loose your creative meanderings. You never know where it will take you.

I fugure that if I'm true to my goal of writing something on this blog every day, I'll have a lot of material for a book on the creative process but it takes time every day to write something. What about the days I don't feel like it? Force myself is the only answer that I have. Sit down and write something. It may be good, bad, or something in between. But I've written. I've exercised my creative muscles. I've thought about something that's important to me. Remember that anything you write can always be improved. The only bad writing is writing that never makes it to the page in any form.

If you procrastinate in writing for the day, it usually is something other than the physical act of writing that's getting in the way. If you don't want to face your page, you are either frightened about what you need to write or perhaps you are afraid of the effort that you will need to make that day to get out what you want to say. There is an emotional effort as well as a physical effort in the act of writing. You are afraid to spend your emotional currency in writing that day. I'm pretty confident your procrastination arises from fear. That gets me back to the familair theme of mine: Write fearlessly. Take chances. Be brave in your writing. More about this in the coming weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment