Tuesday 28 June 2011

Day 42: Sometimes Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

I wrote a christmas story that I finished a revised draft in December, 2008. I workshopped it briefly in a course in fall of 2009 and it sat around in my computer for the next year and a half. I pulled it out today because I want a short story for critiquing at a course I'm taking. I wanted something that as a story was complete so that the minions could not alter my vision of story.

Pasted the piece into my scrapbook and went at it. Its odd looking at old work. Its never as bad as you think and you can come to it with fresh eyes, reworking cumbersome sentences. Giving it a nice polish.

Time off from a completed draft is critical when you need to move to the next stage of editting. Think of your story as a nice stew that needs to simmer or a cup of tea that needs to steep. Distance will make your heart fonder of your work. It is one of your babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment