Tuesday 14 June 2011

Day 28: A Leap of Faith

I wrote about cocooning myself in music a few days ago. This morning I was listening to the soundtrack of the movie 'The Hours' as I started to think about my writing for the day. I love this Phillip Glass music and I am particularly interested in the first track entitled 'The Poet Acts.' The title and the music got me thinking about how the act of writing is really a conscious decision to act, to leap into the unknown each time one looks at the blank sheet or computer monitor. And what a leap it is -  a true leap of faith. It takes courage to take the leap into the nothingness and to find your bearings each day to write something from your mind whether it be a leap into the heavens, the shadows, or your deep abyss. You never know what you will find there as you put words to paper.

The Poet Acts -  what a beautiful thought. As a writer you make a decision to bring your words, ideas and visions into being. You make that conscious choice. You decide to act. What a wonderful way to spend a moment - in creation.

What is the leap? Is it you reaching for that spark of an idea, your inspiration? Once you have hold of it, it is yours forever. I've read some where that people think they need to be inspired to write. That's not true. The writing is the hard work that goes on once you've captured your inspiration. The leap of faith is what gets you that inspiration in your hands. Have faith. Act. Leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment